Objectives: The purpose of this program is to engage our engineering students with the community and create a pathway of discovery for 1st-12th grade students by introducing them to Math, Science and Engineering concepts online in a fun engaging way.
Class Duration: Classes will take place Monday through Friday from 2 to 5 PM EST. Each class will extend over one or two weeks depending on its level and contents. Offered classes will repeat throughout June 29th to August 15th.
Class content: Our students are teaching a wide range of topics for grades 1 – 12 such as:
· Physics of flight, collisions, amusement parks, time travel, and superheroes
· Forensics and crime investigation
· Coding for gamers 101, website design
· Game theory, the math behind decision making, geometry, origami and solving the Rubik’s cube
· Basics of the economy and business planning: create your lemonade stand
· Engineering design process
· The Human Body: A Feat of Engineering
· Engineering our immune system
· The Science and chemistry of food, fermentation, cooking
· The Earth and sustainability
· Science and ethics of infectious diseases
Registration: Register your learner for as many classes as you wish. Please use the following link to access registration information, course descriptions and weekly/bi-weekly offerings: https://engineering.virginia.edu/about/diversity-and-engagement/cde-circle-k-12-project
Costs: Registration fee is $120/week (equating to 15 hours of class per week). Classes are limited to 10 participants to allow instructors to tailor instruction more individually and to minimize disruption.
Contact information: Amanda Fortune | firstname.lastname@example.org